Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Archived/Night Broken

The Archived by Victoria Schwab:



I got in the mail this last week The Unbound book mark signed and a sticker signed by Victoria Schwab. If you remember I said I was reading The Archived book with a Goodreads read a long group. Well if we read with that group and bought the book recently and sent a receipt we would get these in the mail. I wasn't expecting these so soon. I was also just expecting the book plate, I was so happy and excited when I saw the book mark included. I thought they weren't going to be sent out till after the 22nd, which is when Jessethereader did the live show on youtube, and was happily surprised when they arrived so early. Victoria Schwab is awesome! I can't wait to read the second book.I will do a little synopsis and review below and hope other readers will come to love this book as well.

 Genre: YA Fiction
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Pages: 352
Synopsis: Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures that only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive. Da first brought Mackenzie Bishop here four years ago, when she was twelve years old, frightened but determined to prove herself. Now Da is dead, and Mac has grown into what he once was: a ruthless Keeper, tasked with stopping often-violent Histories from waking up and getting out. Because of her job, she lies to the people she loves, and she knows fear for what it is: a useful tool for staying alive.

Being a Keeper isn't just dangerous-it's a constant reminder of those Mac has lost. Da's death was hard enough, but now that her little brother is gone too, Mac starts to wonder about the boundary between living and dying, sleeping and waking. In the Archive, the dead must never be disturbed. And yet, someone is deliberately altering Histories, erasing essential chapters. Unless Mac can piece together what remains, the Archive itself might crumble and fall.

In this haunting, richly imagined novel, Victoria Schwab reveals the thin lines between past and present, love and pain, trust and deceit, unbearable loss and hardwon redemption.


Review:

 I will say I really liked the flashbacks that she had with her grandfather and how she became a part of this world. This book was a little tough to get through because of the feelings the main character goes through with the recent death of her brother and also with the death of her grandfather that happened a few years before. I have recently had my grandma die. And it seems like Mac deals with a lot of the feelings towards death and dealing with it like I have. I also really liked the character Roland he seems like a big brother character. Which is nice since she had no one to really guide her through being a keeper other then Da for a couple of years before he dies. 

Wesley was a awesome and sweet surprise as well. For someone who dresses in goth attire sure is really sweet. It really brings home the saying don't judge a book by its cover. Which I think more people need to understand. I love it that Mac's friend calls him guyliner. It made me laugh every time I heard him being called that. I am really interested in the next book and how she is going to balance her keeper responsibilities with school. In this book she didn't seem to get any sleep and I am wondering if that is going to keep true in the next book or if she will get a bit more time to herself.

Night Broken by Patricia Briggs

 I also read this book right after The Archived and would like to talk a little bit about this one. This is book #8 of the Mercy Thompson Novels. First off I would just like to say Mercy is a much stronger person than I. I would have had some serious issues with Adam's ex-wife doing some of the things she did. I am also happy when the spear came back to her even after she gave it to the rightful owner. It's like she can never get rid of the spear no matter what she does. That can sometimes be a good things since that spear has saved her life a few times. This book left open lots of questions at the ends so I am really looking forward to the next one even though I have to wait like a whole year! It did answer a lot of things as well. You do see Coyote really does care what happens to his children even though he helps them get into trouble every once in a while. 

And now I am off to read Ruins by Dan Wells the final book to the Partials sequence series. I hope its a good ending!





No comments:

Post a Comment