Friday, September 5, 2014

August Wrap Up

Silver Shadows by Richelle Mead

This is the 5th book in the Bloodlines series. I had to read this as soon as it came out and it didn't disappoint me. I loved the ending and can't wait for the last one to this series. Not much I can say on this other than it was good how it all worked out even though I got upset with Adrian but that's normal. But he works with Sydney well.


Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson

This is the first book in the Reckoners series. This was also my first book that I read by Brandon Sanderson. I have been watching his youtube classes on writing that he teaches and heard about his books shortly after that. I loved this book and can't wait to read more of his books. I got Allen to read this one with me since it was his sort of book. We both enjoyed it and had a good discussion on it.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I finally pushed myself to read this since one of the goodreads groups I participate in read this. I also have had the movie since the end of last year I believe and refused to watch it until I read the book. I didn't much care for the book the story itself was good I just didn't like some of the fluff of words that weren't needed I thought. I enjoyed the movie it was very long and basically stayed true to the story.

Wake by Amanda Hocking

This is the 1st book in the Watersong quartet. It is a story about sirens/mermaids. For the most part the main character in this book Gemma annoys me, I prefer reading about her sister Harper. Since this first book was more about Gemma it wasn't that interesting to me other than seeing the sirens other form at the end that was sort of creepy and of course hearing about Harper and her love interest.

Throne of Glass by Sarah J.  Maas

This is the 1st book in the series. This was such a good read and I love this cover compared to the first one they had. The only thing that sometimes irritated me was how frilly she liked to be sometimes. But it was an interesting spin most assassin books where the assassin is a girl doesn't do many girly things. Calaena overcomes things that others would find problematic to deal with. I also read a short story in the back of the book called The Prince and The Captain. It was just a little tidbit on the prince and the captain talking about who they would get to play the game. Which ended up being Calaena. But it was a good read to see them interact with each other before she came into the picture.

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

This is the 1st book in the If I Stay duology. I read this since the movie to this came out in the month of August and I so badly wanted to see it so of course I had to read the book first. I read straight through this in like 6 hours. I guess I just connected with it and just couldn't stop. I've always wondered the same thing if I were put in that position. Also the music was wonderful to listen to in the movie it made the book come even more alive for me. I play piano and love listening and playing classical and Jazz music so I understood her love of music. I can't wait to read the second book and what comes of all of this.

Lullaby by Amanda Hocking

This is the 2nd book in the Watersong quartet. Again I liked this book a bit more because mostly it was in Harper's perspective. I just connect to her more rather than Gemma. Perhaps it is because Harper is a bit older or she is just more mature not sure. I am excited to read the 3rd book ... mostly because of the cover. You see Harper's love interest on the front of the book with his back to the reader and his huge tree tattoo that covers his back. I love the cover!

Rise of the Gryphon by Sherrilyn Kenyon and Dianna Love

This is the 4th book in the Belador series. I was so worried when I found out Sherrilyn Kenyon wasn't going to write on these books anymore. But I have faith that Dianna Love will do a good job with this series and can't wait for the next one. I am hoping now that it is just the one author that is writing it that we will get a book every year. This was slow in some parts but shit hits the fan in this book and some things start to happen.

The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan

This is the 3rd book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympian series. This one was really good I think since I watched the two movies before reading this series that I am finally liking it since now it is parting from where the movies were. I hope to get to book four in September but its not looking like it since I have so many others to read for that month. I might have to put this off for a bit.

The Hidden Ones by Nancy Madore

This is the 1st book in the Legacy of the Watchers. I wrote a longer review on this here on my blog so you can read about it there but I really enjoyed it.




The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

I picked this book up a while ago at a Goodwill for less than a dollar. It was in very good condition. This book was picked for the Booksplosion pick of the month so I knew I had to read it finally with this group, since I never read one with them yet. I was super excited. I loved this book the writing was beautiful and the story was wonderful. I wish this circus existed or at least a movie that was done so good that I could watch it all the time just for the beautiful magic that is done through out this book.

Four a divergent collection by Veronica Roth

I of course had to get this right when it came out. It is a collection of four short stories told from Four's perspective which was done a lot better than in the last book. His voice seemed more him than it did in that other book. This book really made me want to read Divergent over again but I just have to many other books to get through at this time. But I went and got the movie and watched that instead.

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

This is the 1st book in the Infernal devices trilogy. I have been meaning to get to this trilogy ever since I ruined the last book in the mortal instruments series basically. So I finally started it. I thought this first book was a bit slow and at times hard to get into. But I heard it just gets better in the other two books so I will definitely continue on since I have the other two as well. I also read a short story at the end of this book called Magnus' vow which just lead me to more questions I think rather than answers.



I got through a lot of books last month and hope to do that yet again this month. It's going to be tough but October will be my catch up month since I won't be reading much in November do to all the writing I will be doing. Though right now I am second guessing the story idea I have picked out. I am not sure on it any more. Perhaps I will have an idea closer to the time. The story I want to do I have the beginning mapped out and a few scenes after that but I have no idea where it would head and to what ending. This worries me, I want to so badly finish the novel in that month.

I am also excited to watch the movie The Maze Runner so I have to read that book before I go see it.

Did you guys read anything good? What do you plan on reading for September? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment