Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Jinn and Juice (Book #1) by Nicole Peeler

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Published: April 7, 2015
Publisher: Orbit
Pages: 384

Source: NetGalley
Synopsis:
Cursed to be a jinni for a thousand years, Leila nears the end of her servitude—only to be bound once again against her will. Will she risk all to be human?

Born in ancient Persia, Leila turned to her house Jinni, Kouros, for help escaping an arranged marriage. Kouros did make it impossible for her to marry—by cursing Leila to live a thousand years as a Jinni herself.

If she can remain unBound, Leila's curse will soon be over. But Ozan Sawyer, a Magi with the ability to See, Call, and Bind jinn has other plans. Oz needs Leila to help him penetrate Pittsburgh's steel-soaked magic, a juice potent but poisonous to supernatural creatures, in order to find a missing girl with her own mysterious connection to Kouros. Unfortunately for Leila, becoming Bound to Oz may risk more than just her chance to be human once more—it could risk her very soul...

Jinn and Juice is the first in a new series by fantasy writer, Nicole Peeler, set in a world of immortal curses, powerful jinni and belly dancing.

My Rating:
★★★☆☆
Review:
I received this book from NetGalley for an honest review, all reviews and opinions are my own.

First of all I must start out saying how much I love this covor, the purples and blues so pretty. Secondly I was so excited to read this since it had Jinn in the book and I haven't read many books with Jinn in them. I also liked how the Jinn are portrayed as tricksters or just plain mean if you aren't careful what you wish for.

The world building was done well, enough where everything is understandable. I thought it was neat how the pockets of fey realms were called sideways in this book. I never heard of that term used that way before. I wish those pockets that are build into sideways was explained a little bit better kind of hard to understand how it is done. The only confusion I had with the plot was when Leila was talking about going into sideways with out Charles and Rachel it was for there own good since they would be all but useless since Charles would be at the beck and call of his visions and Rachel is pretty much human. But near the end Charles goes all the way sideways and is fine, it does explain that he just doesn't tap into much of the power for seeing so that he can still walk and Rachel has to help him but it still seems like he was still able to help and not be completely useless. Maybe when Leila stated that Charles would be useless she was underestimating his abilities, or being protective. I could see that.

The romance between Leila and Oz seemed forced to me at the beginning but near the end it was better. I think maybe it was just because she wanted to hate him for being her master that it came a crossed that way. Oz is really out of his element through this whole thing learning about this other world and there rules that he never knew existed before becoming a Magi.

I really liked Charles and Rachel their characters were unique and I would like to know more about Charles and Leila's past since they have been friends for many, many years. I was sad to not read more about the Kitsune. I hope we will see more of him as the books progress I can see him getting into all sorts of mischief and Leila having to bail him out. The only problem character wise I had an issue with is Trip and Trap, it was hard to picture them clearly in my mind. First I pictured them as regular wraiths and then when they combined they would look like conjoined twins sort of. Then I was like that couldn't be right since they are a spider wraith. So then I was picturing there whole body basically conjoined together and them on there hands and feet like some sort of exorcist thing. I really wish there was a picture to help me here because now I am just coming up with creepy and scary looking things for these two. Love there names though.

Overall I am excited to read the next one and see how Leila deals with everything and how they go about finding answers to solve their predicament. Also side personal comment. Oz needs to get over it, I understand he doesn't want to push her into anything but obviously he isn't, but it is sweet none the less. 

2 comments: